Sentencing delayed for woman who faked son's cancer | Crime
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - An Elmore County woman who pleaded guilty to faking her 5-year-old son's terminal cancer will put off sentencing for two more months after her attorney says she suffered a medical emergency.
According to the Elmore County District Attorney's Office, sentencing 23-year-old Stephanie Nicole Jones of Titus has been continued until April 4 due to medical reasons.
Jones was originally scheduled to be sentenced today on theft by deception charges after she pleaded guilty to falsely claiming her 5-year-old son had terminal cancer and collecting donations on his behalf.
Multiple businesses pitched in the fund what she said was her son's dying wish - a trip to Disneyworld.
Jones told authorities back in 2011 that it was, "a bad mistake that spiraled out of control."
Top Prattville Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Montgomery to Host Alabama League of Municipalities Convention May 18 – 21
- McCarter Ave. death investigation upgraded to city's 23rd homicide of 2013
- ASU Senior Makes History - First Student to Complete Correctional Dept. Program
- Murphy USA to hold Domestic Violence Awareness event
- Montgomery Court Referral Program to hold job fair