ADOC Officer killed in traffic accident, driver arrested for DUI | Crime
PRATTVILLE, AL (WSFA) - An Alabama Department of Corrections Officer was killed in a two vehicle head-on collision early this morning in Prattville. Police believe the driver of the car that caused the accident had been drinking.
According to the Prattville Police Department, 22-year-old Autaugaville resident Samuel Robertson was driving his pick-up truck early this morning when he slammed head on into the Hyundai Elantra driven by 25-year-old Corrections Officer Christopher Byrd.
Byrd, an officer at the Draper Correctional Facility, died at the scene as a result of injuries sustained in the accident. Authorities believe Robertson had been drinking just before the accident - he has been charged with DUI and manslaughter.
The accident happened on Old Selma Road, two tenths of a mile from the Autauga Creek Bridge near downtown Prattville. Byrd was just ten miles from home.
Robertson is currently being held at the Autauga County Metro Jail - he is expected to have his first court appearance next week.
Top Prattville Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Legislature passes bill providing additional protection to the elderly
- Montgomery County Sheriff's Office to hold Firearms Familiarization Course
- The Gathering of Eagles Welcome the Class of 2013 at Riverwalk Stadium
- Chick-fil-A Founder Selects Montgomery Team Member to Receive Chain’s Top Scholarship May 22
- Garrett Elementary holds end of year Teacher Appreciation and Field Day